Sunday, September 27, 2009

Emotional Design

1. What do you feel were the author's key points in this chapter?

In the chapter Emotional Design, Norman focuses on three pivotal points which include: visceral design, behavioral design and reflective design. We explore a side of design where our main focus is our instincts towards the product.
  • Visceral Design- mainly evoked by initial reactions
  • Behavioral Design- appearances take a back seat, mainly focused on performance
  • Reflective Design- referring to its efficiency and the meaning of the product's use
2. How does this chapter compare to the earlier writing (The Design of Everyday Things) by the same author?

Emotional Design shared many similar factors with the previous book, The Design of Everyday Things by expressing some of the same general concepts such as audience appeal. As I read this chapter, I felt as if the key points in this section were much more detailed, and concepts were explored more thoroughly. Focusing more in the connection between the consumer and the product, we learn what the consumer experiences when in contact with the product and the effects.

3. Give examples from your own experience, of 1) something that succeeds as Visceral Design, 2) something that succeeds as Behavioral Design, and 3) a Reflective Design success? What do you think makes each thing successful?

Visceral Design
Behavioral Design

Reflective Design


1. USB Drive- When I first came across this product, I was absolutely amazed with the design. I had never seen anything like it and was completely thrilled to own it. Its unique design immediately caught my attention, and I wasn't too concerned with its actual capacity which should've been my main priority.

2. College Planner- When it comes to being organized, I really don't worry too much about how my planner looks like. As long as it has a calendar and space for me to write my homework, then it works for me. That's why I didn't think twice when buying the generic student planner at the bookstore.

3. iPod Case- My iPod case is definitely successful in having a reflective design. Not only does my case protect my iPod, but it also reflects my personality. It would've been pretty easy just to buy a regular black case, but I was convinced that the floral case accentuated my prized possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment